The year 2019 is upon us and we are very excited to take on the new year with passion and dedication to continued growth at Clearwater Forest. But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, we had an incredible 2018 and have lots to be thankful for from this past year. Despite the fact that our year began with the resignation of the Executive Director, the Board of Directors and current staff rose to the occasion and we are celebrating an outstanding year!
Highlights of 2018 at Clearwater Forest:
- New summer camp, Choose Your Own Adventure, was a success (and will be returning in 2019!).
- New staff plan was developed with three Directors working as a team: Lance Baumann was promoted to be Director of Facilities and Tami Jacobs was promoted to Director of Operations and Guest Relations.
- Rob Rathsack was hired as Director of Outreach and Programs starting January 1, 2019, and we cannot wait to introduce you to him!
- A reunion of summer staff was joyfully held in March and we look forward to further engagement with these folks who love Clearwater.
- More campers than expected came in summer 2018.
- New furnishings are in place in Leaning Tree Lodge and Eagle Lodge thanks to a generous donation.
- We’ve strengthened our social media presence and updated our website.
- Reinvested funds to earn greater interest and pay lower fees.
- We have been debt free for 13 years!
- Great spirit at summer camp this year: “Best summer ever!”
- Intentional outreach and building of partnerships with area organizations.
- Local Fire Department has done training at camp and will be returning.
- Vicky and Madi have returned as cooks and are preparing more meals from scratch.
- Our new Housekeeping Coordinator, Jackie, has been onsite since April.
- The lake continues to host a number of loons and Clearwater is becoming involved in the process of creating loon nests in collaboration with the lake association.
- EcoCamp involved campers, adults and volunteers creating and installing “willow waddles” to lessen erosion around the lake. In addition, they planted 12,000 native plants to aid in erosion control.
- New mountain bike trail was built by volunteer work team (and well used by campers!).
In the year 2019 we are looking forward to the collaboration of efforts from our new leadership team of Directors. We cannot wait to kick off the summer camp season with new camps (Home in the Woods – a camping experience at Clearwater) and returning of old favorites from past years such as Choose Your Own Adventure, Sailing Camp and EcoCamp, and of course our ever-popular ENDLESS summer camp.
We are excited about launching a new capital campaign to upgrade the Dining Hall and Carriage House as well as a new youth friendly building to replace Osprey House and a new retreat center for smaller groups. We’re doing what we can but every little bit helps! Please consider making a donation to Clearwater Forest.
Rooted in tradition; growing for tomorrow, we remain your faithful stewards of God’s woods and waters!